Sunday 5 October 2008

mãe

Thinking of what to write as a tribute to you I realised that I had no idea what I could say that would express my love for you.

I wanted to write something that told you of how much I have valued your contribution to my life but nothing I thought of seemed fitting enough because words are insufficient to describe all that you have done for me.

I have watched you suffer through so much.
I have watched you sacrifice so much.
You did all this not because you had to but because you chose to for the sake of your children.
As I read Ephesians 6:10-20, I prayed that your spirit is forever fortified with the whole Armour of God.

I want you to know that your children are okay because of you.
I want you to know that I am okay because of you.
I pray that you are now able to do as it says in the bible when you turn to 1 Peter 5:7.
It says that you should ‘cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you.’

You are the mother that taught me early that great people sometimes fail but become great by acknowledging and learning from their failures. Most importantly I learnt from you that I should never let my failures get to me because I could remedy mistakes and shortcomings if I faced them head on with courage and compassion.

I grew up hearing directly from you about rights and wrongs. Like many daughters I grew up first seeking your approval, then trying to prove my independence. Now I am a little older, I realise the immense strength of character and humility you hold within you to put up with so much.

I can say whole heartedly that I am proud to be your daughter.
I can say I am truly blessed to be your child.

Today is your birthday.
Today I am jubilant with joy as I celebrate.
Today I sing the words of Psalm 95 as I give thanks to God for you.

‘O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is His also.
The sea is His, and He made it: and His hands formed the dry land.
O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.’


When God thought of you as a Mother, it was a thought so rich, so deep, so divine and so full of soul; one that caused your beauty and power to be concieved.

As our mother you have shed our tears and feared our fears.
As our mother you have cared for our cares and laughed our laughs.
As our mother you have lived our joys and shared in all our hopes and dreams.

All that I am,
All that I hope to be,
I owe to you.

‘Happy 60th Birthday Mummy’.

p.s
Special thanks to Jaycee and Naapali. Albeit for different reasons... Hugs :-)

20 comments:

Jennifer A. 5 October 2008 at 00:48  

Flying snow, this has really inspired me to write a poem for my mum! She's turning 5-0 in December, and this beautiful poem has inspired me.

There's nothing like appreciating the woman who carried you for nine months, and then pushed with all her strength, even almost disregarding her need for Oxygen and the need to breathe...

I know I didn't do much, but u're welkie...:)

Jennifer A. 5 October 2008 at 00:51  

Ooooh...guess what? I'm reading Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist" right now...I just saw that he's on ur blogroll. Lol. Have u read that book? Its pretty good...

1st & 2nd...muhaha!

TheAfroBeat 5 October 2008 at 02:42  

Happy Birthday mama Shubby! Great psalm! Hope you are well.

Naapali 5 October 2008 at 13:22  

Happy Birthday Empress Foxy Jade.
It appears Flying Snow has turned out better than expected but as well as hoped for.

Buttercup 5 October 2008 at 13:55  

beautiful..

happy birthday mama shubby doo! wish u many more wonderful years!

u shud print this tribute for her..

ibiluv 5 October 2008 at 15:17  

Happy 60th Mama Shubby Doo.....

bArOquE 5 October 2008 at 15:30  

...Happy Birthday mum...60years no be beans oh, where the party @?

ShonaVixen 6 October 2008 at 00:28  

this is beautiful piece of emotion potrayed in poetry...words filled with emotion, love and pride!!Happy birthday to Momma Shubby xoxo

Anonymous,  6 October 2008 at 03:03  

first time here...nice blog

Thirty + 6 October 2008 at 12:14  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHUBBY'S MUM!

Allied 6 October 2008 at 15:19  

E ku ojo ibi Iya 'snow to n fo'

bwt what is snow in Yoruba? do we have name for it?

Naapali 6 October 2008 at 16:39  

@ allied
- as far as I know; Iyin

Shubby Doo 6 October 2008 at 18:30  

@naapali - smartypants - thanks :-)

@allied - i have it on good authority that the doc is right; i just asked Li Mu Bai and he says it is Iyin.

p.s
I will double check with Jade Fox or Old Master Bo and let you know if it isn't.

Shubby Doo 6 October 2008 at 18:31  

@30+ - thanks dearie

@kin'shar - thanks & welcome

@shonavixen – thanks sweetie. i used to write her letters like this on her birthdays and on mothers' day when i was much younger from boarding school but with age i just started buying cards. She was quite overwhelmed to get another one… she started crying… bless her!

@baroque - i know o! thanks baby B… you never said whether you accepted my T&Cs for prague… that would be a party!!!

@ibiluv – thanks dear.

@buttercup - thanks. I have but her version is slightly different to this.

@tAB - thanks. I am. How are you?

@naapali - she wouldn't have agreed with you on sat but after yesterday I think she now does :-) yay!

p.s
yes o! @60 she is still a foxy mama… LOL

@jaycee - every time i read your blog I’m inspired so i am happy i could inspire you.

p.s
i loved the alchemist… i can re- read that book again and again cos i still love it. It taught me so much but in such a simple way.

i didn't like 'The Zahir' or 'The Witch of Portobello' but i picked up a little more wisdom just by reading them… I also found in trying to understand why I didn’t like them so much I gained a bit more wisdom.

i also liked 'By the River Piedra, I Sat Down and Wept' but i have some reservations about the way it ended.

Not sure i can read 'The Devil and Miss Prym'… 4 some reason the title reminds me of Stephen King's 'Needful Things'...i read that in my early teens and i could not sleep with the lights off for a very very long time

Currently unread on my bookshelf is 'Manual of the Warrior of Light' and 'Veronika Decides to Die'. Aim to read the latter before the film with Sarah Michelle Gellar comes out… want to see the flim after sha so let us hope that Buffy can do it justice!!!

rethots 7 October 2008 at 12:12  

Iya ni wura biye biye,
ti a kole fowo ra...

aloted 7 October 2008 at 12:40  

mothers are the best...aren't they??

happy birthday to your mum :)

Smaragd 7 October 2008 at 12:49  

Happy birthday Mummy Shubby Doo.

u have raised a wonderful daughter.

@Naaps, i just knew u'd know it! yea, it's "Iyin".

Afronuts 7 October 2008 at 16:05  

Is it mothers day or Im missing something?

Carlang did something similar about his mama too...

Nice bit shubby!

Afronuts 7 October 2008 at 16:06  

Oh...and happy birthday to ur moma!

UndaCovaSista 7 October 2008 at 18:34  

Awww, bless. Lovely tribute.
Happy Birthday to your Mum!!!

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP